Sunday Aug 12
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Digital Negatives and Cyanotypes
With Galina Kurlat
August 12, 11:00am - 5:00pm
$120 HCP Members / $150 non-members
Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Class Size: 7 students
Description: Learn how to create large scale negatives without a large format camera! The instructor will introduce you to the marvels of digital inkjet negatives and then demonstrate how to use them for contact printing in traditional cyanotype. The first part of the workshop will be in HCP’s digital darkroom and will include all the necessary steps for creating a quality digital negative. Students will leave with 2 negatives ready for printing. The second part of the workshop will be a hands-on demonstration of the cyanotype process. Students will be able to contact print their negatives using artificial sunlight, making 1-2 final prints in this alternative photographic process. Additionally, the instructor will provide an historical overview of the classic cyanotype process as well as share print examples, reference texts and online resources.
• Understanding levels and curves in Photoshop
• Creating large scale digital negatives on inkjet transparency media
• Exploring the traditional Cyanotype process
Time needed for workshop days/ hours: 1 day/5 hours
What to bring to class:
• 2-3 high resolution images on CD or portable hard drive (minimum 5” x 7” image size
at 300ppi resolution)
• Note taking materials
• Smock or apron and gloves are recommended
• Lunch/Snacks for breaks
• Navigational skills on Mac computer
• Intermediate Digital: Photoshop, including adjustment of layers
Early Registration (May 11-17) is for HCP members only.
Click Membership & Support in the left column to join HCP now!
Registration for the general public begins Friday, May 18th.