Reports to: Administrative Manager
Houston Center for Photography is a fast-paced 36-year-old non-profit arts organization dedicated to photography and related media. The staff is a close-knit group of fun individuals who work hard, are team players, and are committed to the organization’s mission.
As a Gallery Associate, you will gain experience working in a small, established non-profit organization and exhibition/educational space. This position is a key point person for the general public. You will assist with class registration, donor maintenance, assist in the preparation and delivery of exhibitions, events and gallery upkeep. Successful candidates will possess a strong customer service background, an attention to detail and the ability to problem solve with tact and maturity. Ideal candidates will be passionate about promoting the art of photography.
- Maintain HCP’s donor records consistent with HCP’s policies and procedures
- Ability to process and maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Processes membership letters, renewals and other correspondence
- Prepare galleries and checklists/wall texts for exhibitions
- Maintain exhibition checklists and materials
- Prepare gallery space for lectures and exhibition events
- Maintain prep and storage areas and print archives
- Assist Exhibition Coordinator with organizational storage solutions for exhibitions related materials, artworks and supplies
- Maintain gallery with an emphasis on ensuring positive visitor experiences
- Open and close gallery on the weekend, with closing duties during the week
- Answer phones, greet visitors, assist with questions
- Respond to email correspondence dealing with membership and general inquiries
- Monitor and maintain gallery/Learning Center facilities
- Register/check in students for Learning Center classes
- Maintain gallery attendance and audience reports
- Assist with projects related to Exhibition/Learning Center/Development
- Help with event set-up and clean-up
- Reliability and responsibility
- Interest/experience with visual arts/photography
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Superior organizational, communication, multi-tasking, and administrative skills
- Be a self-starter and fast learner
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and Windows operating system
- Database management experience, Altru a plus
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are desirable
- Pleasant and professional telephone manner, professional dress
- Bilingual capabilities a plus
Wages and Schedule
This position is part-time, variable evenings Monday – Friday and split weekend days (Saturday and Sunday) from 10:30am – 2:30pm and 2:30pm-7-pm. Average number of hours is approximately 12 to 15 per week. Salary is paid at a competitive hourly rate.
To apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume with references as a single pdf. Multiple documents will not be opened. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
About Houston Center for Photography
Houston Center for Photography’s mission is to increase society’s understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP encourages artists, builds audiences, stimulates dialogue, and promotes inquiry about photography and related media through education, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaborations. HCP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving as a resource to its members and the community with programs that have regional and national impact.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Houston Center for Photography is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of HCP.