Reports to: Executive Director
Full-time, Exempt position
Houston Center for Photography seeks an energetic individual who has a passion for visual culture and a keen interest in the role of art organizations in society to serve as its Development Coordinator. The person who fills this position must have excellent analytical, research, and writing skills. The Development Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director (ED) and Board of Directors on all forms of contributed income, including government and foundation grants, individual gifts, and membership. They will also assist in the planning of fundraising events. As steward of HCP’s donor base, the Development Coordinator should also demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the ED and staff to develop and draft grants and proposals to foundations, corporations, and federal and state agencies.
- Polish, proofread, and submit grants to foundations, corporations, and federal and state agencies.
- Collect data, write, and submit grant reports.
- Work closely with administrative support team to maintain up-to-date, accurate records and ensure that all donations are accurately entered into electronic databases.
- Ensure that all donor outreach and follow-up is conducted in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work with the ED and Director of Operations to ensure membership goals and numbers are met or exceeded. Steward the HCP membership base.
- Prepare materials for Development Committee meetings, attend meetings, and manage follow-up activities.
- Support the organization and attend donor development events, including the Annual Print Auction.
- BA or equivalent experience required; advanced degree in studio art, arts administration, art history, or related field /certification is a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, analytical, and research skills
- Passion for visual arts and visual culture is essential; knowledge of photography is desirable.
- Comfort with spreadsheets, and an ability to manage projects and organizational budgets.
- Proven ability to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize, and communicate effectively with various stakeholders, including staff, Board, and donors.
- Discretion, diplomacy, and sound judgment.
- Some experience with grant and proposal development and writing.
- Some experience in development with nonprofit organizations, ideally in the arts, is preferred.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Compensation and Schedule:
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Entry-level salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s prior experience. HCP will offer hands-on training, professional development, and opportunities for advancement for the right candidate.
This position is open until filled. For priority consideration, apply by July 11, 2021. Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, 1 writing sample (500–750 words), and 3 references combined into one PDF to: email@example.com. Please put “Development Coordinator” in your subject line. We will only accept applications via email and in the format listed above.
About Houston Center for Photography
Houston Center for Photography’s mission is to increase society’s understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP encourages artists, builds audiences, stimulates dialogue, and promotes inquiry about photography and related media through education, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaborations. HCP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving as a resource to its members and the community with programs that have regional and national impact.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Houston Center for Photography is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who would increase the diversity of HCP.