More than ever before, being an artist requires you to produce compelling work and possess the professional skills necessary to get your work seen, shown, and collected. In this two-day Master Class, dealer Sasha Wolf and artist Jess T. Dugan will provide an overview of the skills required to build and maintain a career as a fine art photographer in today’s multifaceted and ever-changing art world. This is a rare chance to learn what today’s standards are regarding best practices and participate in a genuine dialogue between an artist and a dealer. This virtual Master Class is ideal for photographers looking to gain insight into the art world’s professional aspects.
Some of the questions that will be addressed include but are not limited to:
- What constitutes a refined body of work? How do you determine when your work is ready to be shown?
- What are the best practices for maintaining artist websites and using social media?
- What is the role of a gallerist? What is the responsibility of the artist in an artist/gallery relationship?
- How do you connect with individuals such as curators, publishers, or collectors who are in a position to support your work and further your career?
- What are the pros and cons (and possible pitfalls) of publishing a book?
- What are some strategies for building community and sustaining a meaningful practice for the long haul?
Registration & Fees: $375
Members Enjoy 20% Off Tuition
There is limited space available.
HCP Master Class BIPOC Scholarship
After a sold-out first session, HCP is excited to add a second session of this Master Class. Our goal is to demystify the art world and help artists overcome barriers with practical knowledge and examples with this class.
Attention: This class has been moved online in response to the growing impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Please register as you normally would, and Houston Center for Photography staff will update you with information and a link to take this course at it’s scheduled time.
To participate in an online course, students will need access to a desktop, laptop, or tablet with an internet connection. If you have any questions about navigating our new system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.