Reports to: Board of Directors
Houston Center for Photography (HCP) seeks a leader to serve as Executive Director. HCP’s mission is to increase society’s understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP strives to encourage artists, build audiences, stimulate dialogue, and promote inquiry about photography and related media through education programs, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaborations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and vision on the strategic direction for HCP in collaboration with Board of Directors and staff.
- Serve as lead fiduciary for the organization.
- Serve as the lead fundraiser for HCP, a responsibility that also entails establishing fundraising goals, working closely with the staff to maintain and increase contributions by existing and new donors, and submitting grant requests to foundations, government agencies, and individuals to achieve the established goals.
- Serve as the primary interface with the Board of Directors.
- Manage full-time and part-time staff as well as consultants and contractors; mentor staff and encourage their professional development.
- Direct personnel policies and procedures for compensation/benefits and all staff activities.
- Serve as spokesperson for HCP with the media and the public and ensure that the HCP message is clear, consistent, and positive and that there is a favorable public perception of HCP.
- Develop and provide curatorial vision for the exhibitions at HCP.
- Engage local, national, and international artists to create exhibitions and exhibition-related programming.
- 3 – 5 years in senior management of arts non-profit and an advanced degree is preferred though not required
- 3 – 5 years of fundraising experience
- Strong financial and management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solver and consensus builder with the ability to inspire diverse constituencies including volunteers, staff, board, and the general public
- An excitement and passion for photography, education, fine art, and community engagement
Wages and Schedule:
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is open until filled. Interested candidates should email (in a single .pdf document) a cover letter; resume; a writing sample (no more than 2 pages typed); and the contact information of 3 references to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications: October 23, 2020
About Houston Center for Photography
Houston Center for Photography’s mission is to increase society’s understanding and appreciation of photography and its evolving role in contemporary culture. HCP encourages artists, builds audiences, stimulates dialogue, and promotes inquiry about photography and related media through education, exhibitions, publications, fellowship programs, and community collaborations. HCP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving as a resource to its members and the community with programs that have regional and national impact.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Houston Center for Photography is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of HCP.